Monday 19 November 2007

Around the Premier League Tracks 2007 - the close season 2007/8
.
.
Monday, 19 November


Premier League News



Workington: Teenage sensation, Joe Haines, has pledged his future to Wolverhampton – but he will spend next season on loan to Premier League Workington.

The Bolton based rider was a regular with Scunthorpe in the 2007 campaign. He said: “If I can get a good average with Workington then maybe I can look towards the Elite League in 2009, but whether I will or not remains to be seen. I will be giving my best for Workington.”

Source: BSPA website

Joe Haines signing has received a lot of press coverage:
.
Forward-thinking Elite League club Wolverhampton have added talented teenager Joe Haines to their impressive asset base. Haines, 17, will spend 2008 on loan to Premier League Workington to continue his development along the same lines as Tai Woffinden, another 17-year-old, who will race again at Rye House next term.
.
“I’m absolutely delighted to have Joe on board and I’m pleased to see him get regular Premier League racing for a season at Workington,” said promoter Chris Van Straaten. “Naturally there were other clubs interested but he felt Wolverhampton was the right club for him and I think he was impressed by the direction we’re going in with the youngsters.
.
“We’re laying down the foundations for the next five-years here at Monmore Green and we firmly believe we are doing things right.” Haines is confident he has made the right decision to link up with the Parrys International Wolves – and he will enjoy support from the Sub-Species stable who also back British Grand Prix star Scott Nicholls.
.
He said: “I had several options on the table, but Wolverhampton has a reputation as one of the top clubs in the country and they are very professional in everything they do. I’m also impressed by what they’re doing with the youngsters there, when you look at lads like Tai they seem to be showing a lot of ambition for the future. “If I can get a good average with Workington then maybe I can look towards the Elite League in 2009, but whether I will or not remains to be seen. I will be giving my best for Workington.” Haines is hoping to be at Wolverhampton regularly next season to practice.

Source: Express and Star

SPEEDWAY whiz-kid Joe Haines is Workington Comets’ third signing for the 2008 season. Haines, who was only 16 in September, joins skipper Kauko Nieminen and Charles Wright who have both re-signed for the Derwent Park track. The Bolton-based teenager had been chased by NINE different Premier League clubs before deciding to commit his immediate future to the Comets. He had earlier signed for Wolverhampton in the Elite League but the Wolves will immediately loan him out to the Premier League club of his choice.
.
Comets owner Keith Denham said: “I’m absolutely delighted to have got Joe signed-up for next season. He’s going to be one of the stars of the sport in the not-too distant future. I think we’ll have him for at least two years while he gains the experience he needs at Premier League level. “I’ve watched him riding since he started at the Northside training track and I don’t think there’s any doubt that he has star quality written all over him.”
.
Since turning 16 just over two months ago he rode for Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington and Redcar, and he was the signature most Premier League tracks were looking for. Workington team manager Ian Thomas said: “I regard him as the young man who put Workington out of the Young Shield. He guested for Redcar against us at Derwent Park in the semi-final second leg and scored five points and a bonus as they were able to hold onto their lead and get through to the final. “It was a very mature performance for a young man and just showed what potential he has. I think it is an excellent signing for Workington speedway.”
.
Haines said: “I enjoyed my first full season in the Conference League with Scunthorpe but made the decision it was time to step up. My dad and I had been approached by a number of clubs so we had to sit down and decide where to go. I like it at Workington and have always enjoyed riding there so I’m looking forward to starting my Premier League career at the track.”
.
Scunthorpe, where Haines played a role in landing the Conference League championship, are hoping to move up into the Premier League and were one of the tracks pursuing Haines’ signature. Redcar Bears, for whom Haines impressed in the Young Shield semi-final, were also among the chasers. Haines, the 2006 British Under-15’s champion will come into the Workington side at reserve on a 3.00 average and has plenty of scope to improve that in 2008. He rode in more matches (39), took more rides (189) and scored more points (359) than any other Scunthorpe rider in 2007 and finished the season on an 8.55 average.

Source: News and Star


Edinburgh: The Monarchs first signing for next season, Aaron Summers, gave an excellent performance in the Victorian Championship in Australia but just missed out on making the final:

AARON SUMMERS missed out on a Victorian Championship Final spot after falling off in his last race. The Aussie star had piled up nine points from his first four rides and was leading the last heat when he crashed at the Gillman Meet in Adelaide. Edinburgh Monarchs signing Summers was taken to the pits in an ambulance but given the all clear after checks.
.
Monarchs director Mike Hunter said: “It’s an encouraging start to the season for Aaron. The Victorian meeting had a good field. He will certainly be race fit when he gets here in February.”

Source: The Sun



Stoke: The Potters’ reserve, Barrie Evans, wants to remain in the Premier League next year:

Barrie Evans has indicated he wants to pull out of Conference League racing - just days after winning an award as Stoke SAS Spitfires' most consistent rider. The popular rider claims he wants to focus on his Premier League riding, having found himself at reserve for most of the season.
.
Evans said: "It was very flattering to receive the award and I always gave the Conference League as much time and effort as I did to Premier League racing. I have a lot of time for this club and I will give 100 per cent every time I pull on a Stoke race jacket.
.
"I just think the time is right to focus on improving as a Premier League rider. I seem to have stuck at reserve and recording around the same average for too long and the time is right for me to channel my energies into turning that around.
.
"He added: "No one knows what will happen until after the promoters' AGM. But I am a Stoke asset and I would like nothing more than to improve and become a more consistent rider here with Stoke."

Source: The Sentinel



Somerset: The Rebels will unveil their first two signings for the 2008 season at a social this Friday.

Both riders are expected to Attend the Oak Tree Arena for an evening which includes skittles games for riders and fans alike.

Promoter Mike Golding said “Tickets have gone well for the event so It’s a good time to announce the signings and it’s a bonus to have them there.”

Source: BPSA website

No comments: