Saturday 10 November 2007

Around the Premier League Tracks 2007 - the close season 2007/8
.
.
Saturday, 10 November


Premier League News



Glasgow: Today’s copy of the Sun carried an article on David McAllan whose speedway career may have ended as a result of the crash in the match against Birmingham at Ashfield:

DAVID McALLAN is now gearing up for the race of his life – less than four weeks after breaking his back in a horrific crash.The Glasgow Tigers rider marries sweetheart Lynn Jones on January 19 and the pocket rocket is desperate to walk down the aisle. He still has to wear a body brace and is on crutches following the sickening smash in the double header against Birmingham and Stoke on October 21.
.
McAllan, 27, said “When the physios began the process of getting me to walk, I was handed the biggest Zimmer in the world. I eventually managed to downgrade it to a smaller one but imagine a 27-year-old lad getting around Livingston on a Zimmer. What would my mates have said?”So I worked extremely hard to get to the walking sticks stage and I have now progressed to a much more acceptable pair of crutches. But I’m now attending physio twice a week in a bid to make my big day that bit more special.”
.
“At the moment speedway is irrelevant. My forthcoming marriage to Lynn is everything and I’m determined I’ll be in good nick for the ceremony and the honeymoon. I’m looking at 18 months on the sidelines but I have no notion to ride a bike again.”
.
“Equally, I’m not about to announce my retirement. I just can’t wait to get better. Some folk can’t believe that I’m out and about 16 days after the op. But I reckon if I can achieve something as massive as that then I can walk down that aisle on January 19.”
.
McAllan has come a long way since those dark days in October after he was shunted off the track by Birmingham rider Phil Morris, who was fined for dangerous driving. He said: “The first week in the hospital wasn’t great. I wasn’t a pretty sight with all my tubes and drips.“That was an improvement from the operation though. I actually STOPPED breathing during the procedure. When I heard that I got the fright of my life. To get the operation so quickly was unbelievable. “The Royal Infirmary surgeon refused at first to operate on a Sunday because trauma victims weren’t his thing. When he was told the spinal unit at the Southern didn’t have an opening until the Wednesday, he pressed on and I’m so glad he did.”


Berwick: According to today’s Daily Record, Peter Waite, the Bandits’ owner, looks for a much stronger performance next season:

Berwick Bandits owner Peter Waite admitted last night he’s ready to turn his flops into title challengers.Waite said: “I want riders who show commitment. We didn’t get that last season and we have to get it right.”



Workington: The News and Star continued to give the Comets great coverage. This time they announced that Charles Wright is Workington’s second signing of the season:

WORKINGTON Comets have made their second signing ahead of the 2008 season with reserve Charles Wright agreeing a new deal. The 19-year-old former Buxton Hitmen rider has just completed a very successful first season in the Premier League for the Comets.
.
Co-promoter Ian Thomas said: “The thing about Charles is that he has enormous potential and is very capable of improving his average again next season. He achieved a 3.57 average in his first season, and with the re-adjustment for being a British rider, he will start off next year on 3.48.
.
“I think he has the ability to take that average over five for 2008 and that’s a target he will be setting himself. He could have done even better this year but he had a few mechanical problems and I know he is determined to improve his racing equipment for next year. “The top tuner Eddie Bull, who used to look after former world champions Bruce Penhall and Ivan Mauger, is going to do his engines. During his first season in the Premier League Charles gained some notable scalps. He beat King’s Lynn’s Tomas Topinka from the gate and when he had a start on handicapped Magnus Zetterstrom, he held him off for three laps in what was one of the best races of the year.”
.
Workington’s new owner Keith Denham added: “This is an important part of the jigsaw at the lower end of the team. I am sure Charles will continue to improve over the next 12 months.” Wright’s signing – which follows the return of skipper Kauko Nieminen – will kill-off speculation that he was about to switch tracks and join ex-Workington boss Graham Drury at Birmingham. “There have been a lot of rumours floating about on speedway internet sites suggesting that Charles was bound for Perry Barr so I’m delighted to squash those stone dead,” said Thomas.
.
Charles’ elder brother James is still debating his riding plans for 2008 but it is increasingly likely that he will ride in the Elite League only next season. Workington are not likely to announce any more signings before the end of the BSPA conference on December 2 but fans should expect the majority of the new team signed soon afterwards. Thomas recalled: “I completed the final signing last year when I was going through the Suez Canal.While we were at sea I couldn’t make contact with Jamie Robertson but once we got to the Canal I could talk to him and agree the deal. Who knows I might do something similar this time and make the last signing while I’m at the Ricky Hatton fight on December 8.”


Somerset: The Weston and Somerset Mercury carried the following article on the presentation night in the new Rebels’ clubhouse at which Daniel Warwick got the award for the most exciting rider of the season:

THE Somerset Sharp Rebels held their end of season presentation night in the new clubhouse, a venue that certainly befitted the evening. The 200 fans, riders and sponsors present were treated to an excellent night's entertainment that included a superb meal, firework display and a top class cabaret as well as the presentation of the rider awards, compared by Mark Saunders from the club's team sponsors, Sharp Retail Systems.
.
Danny Warwick followed up last week's award of the Fred Fountain Memorial Trophy by picking up the supporters' award for the most exciting rider of the season. Somerset promoter Mike Golding commented that he felt this was an apt award for the 23-year-old as he has proved himself to be among the fastest riders around the Oak Tree Arena, the trouble being he does not always do it in the right direction. A firm favourite with the fans, Warwick was obviously delighted with the award as he said he feels it is important to provide the fans with good entertaining racing, something he has tried to do every time he goes to the tapes.
.
Jordan Frampton was the fans choice as the most improved rider of the season, an almost unanimous choice given that 2007 was his first full season in the Premier League during which he added over two points on his average. As Frampton told the assembled throng that while it was a steep learning curve for him, he feels the team spirit within the Rebels camp went a long way in helping him: "Like every rider, I went through a bad spell during the season, but the spirit within the team was such that you could never let it get to you, and everyone would rally round to help."
.
The main trophy for the rider of the season was awarded to Simon Walker not only for some excellent performances on the track but for the maturity shown when he took over the captaincy when the Rebels were forced to ride the final month of the season without Magnus Zetterstrom.
.
The final award of the night for promotion of the year as voted by the SRA at their dinner was made to the club by BSPA chairman Pete Toogood, and collected by Mike Golding and the landlord of the Oak Tree Arena, Bill Hancock."The club could never have moved forward like it has this year without the backing and co-operation of our landlord, Bill and Frances Hancock, and this is an award I wish to share with them. In summing up, winning this award makes me proud to be a Rebel.

No comments: