Wednesday 31 October 2007

Around the Premier League Tracks 2007 - the close season 2007/8
.
.
Wednesday, October 31


Premier League News



Workington: It seems that Workington has been sold by Tony Mole to a lifelong Comets’ fan, Keith Denham, chief executive of Thomas Armstrong (Holdings) Ltd. Denham will be co-promoter along with Ian Thomas. What is not clear is whether Denham has bought the Comets’ rider assets. Tony Mole’s Premier League interests not lie solely with Birmingham.

An article in the News and Star reads as follows:

“WORKINGTON COMETS have been bought by West Cumbrian business boss Keith Denham – a lifelong fan.Denham, chief executive of Thomas Armstrong(Holdings) Ltd has taken over control from promoter Tony Mole who re-introduced speedway to Derwent Park, Workington in 1999. Denham, who has stressed the fact that he has personally bought the club, admits he’s been trying to buy it since 2001. He said: “Tony Mole and I have always had a good relationship and we’ve regularly sat down and talked about a possible deal. Now that I have bought the Comets I hope to be able to move the club forward and build on the solid foundations already laid down.” “I’m local – I know the people – I’ve been a fan from 1970. I’ve made plenty of noise in the past about how things could be improved, now it will be up to me to make sure things happen that will do just that. I have lots of ideas I would like to bring to fruition. Some of those involve the landlords, Workington Town RLFC and I will be sitting down with their board of directors in the next couple of weeks,” he said. Denham has already applied to the BSPA for a promoter’s licence and says he will be attending the association’s annual conference next month. Ian Thomas, the man who first brought speedway to Derwent Park in 1970 when Denham first watched from the terraces, will work with him as co-promoter. Mole, who now only has the Birmingham track in his speedway ‘stable’ said: “I believe this is excellent news for the Comets fans and it will take the club into a new era with fresh ideas. I have worked closely with Keith and Thomas Armstrong since speedway returned to Workington and we have enjoyed an excellent working relationship. The support of Thomas Armstrong has been greatly appreciated during this time. As promoter of the Comets I have enjoyed my nine seasons at the club since March 1999 and have made many new friends.” “Finally I should just like to thank the board of directors and staff of Workington Town RLFC Ltd for the use of their stadium and the Allerdale Borough Council for having the vision to grant planning consent and renewing it.”



Glasgow: Press reports suggest that Glasgow have lost interest, at least for the time being, in signing Filip Sitera. The Glasgow promotion were more than impressed with Sitera’s performance in the Ashfield Classic in which he finished runner up but his Sunday commitments next year in Poland have ruled him out of any plans the Tigers may have. The Glasgow Evening Times commented:

GLASGOW TIGERS have cooled their interest in Filip Sitera - after the Czech speedway sensation agreed terms to race in the Polish League.The 19-year-old whiz wooed fans in the recent Ashfield Classic and supporters urged Tigers bosses to snap up the Czech Junior champ. However, Polish League clubs race on a Sunday - the same day as Tigers - which has left club chief Alan Dick no alternative but to pull the plug.Dick said: "We need riders who are 100% committed to the Tigers. We have precious few available Sundays. In fact, we had to stage two double-headers this season. It's a great pity because he was an absolute daredevil and one of the most exciting visitors we've had at Ashfield in years. He raced INCHES from the safety fence - it was incredible to watch."


Sheffield: Kyle Legault has asked Sheffield, who own his contract, for a transfer. An article in the Sheffield Star reads:

SHEFFIELD Tigers asset Kyle Legault has this week spoken on his reasons for putting in a transfer request away from Owlerton.
The Canadian star said: "I feel that it is very important to outline why I have handed in my transfer request with the Tigers. I would like to place on record my thanks to Neil Machin and the promotions team in Sheffield as they gave me the chance to come to England and have a career in British speedway."It was a disappointment to me that we couldn't agree on a contract for last season and I found myself looking for a job and in a difficult situation as the Tigers still owned my rights and had a say on where I went. Luckily I ended in Mildenhall and I have had a great time and made some big advances in my career."I am very ambitious and want to ride in the Grand Prix series, I am not sure I will get that chance while still contracted to the Sheffield Tigers. At this stage of my career, I would like to be racing at the highest possible level in both the UK and also in Europe and I think the Elite League is where I need to be for that to happen. "With that in mind then I think it would be best for both sides if we parted company professionally and the Tigers granted my wish to move to another club permanently, which in turn should allow me to get the best out of my career. Sheffield will always be a place I love to go and it is my home in England."

No comments: